This nifty external SSD offers speed, performance, and storage capacity just like an internal SSD.
Introducing VisionTek 120GB (and 240GB) USB 3.0 Pocket SSD Drive – The practical usability feature that really pushes me to like it other than its awesome speeds, is that it is an external device and portable! Which means you can use it in any computer you want and not be bound to one single PC (like an internal SSD drive). It can be used in any USB socket and is backward compatible!
If you are a tech savvy Chess Enthusiast who uses modern Chess Software scroll down as to why this is useful for you.
Wait… Is this not similar to the USB 3.0 pen-drives that are available in the markets?
Yes. There is only one similarity and that is VisionTek USB Pocket SSD looks like a USB pen-drive – but – that’s where the similarity ends. More than just storage, what it delivers is a blazing read/write speeds featuring a high-performance SandForce® controller. To make you understand better it means you’ll experience up to 455MB/s Read speed and up to 440MB/s Write speed (which is insane compared to the USB 3.0 pen-drives’ paltry 100 MB/s Read/Writes are concerned – that too with proper optimization!).
However remember that the specs are maxed out in standard test conditions with best hardware. When you test it in your computers the mileage may vary as the speeds are dependent on your PC specs like OS, motherboard and SMPS.
However with the proper set-up, you can install/ run any operating system with fastest boot times! So please take these stats with a pinch of salt. Not just this product but with any electronic or mechanical device.
What are the hardware requirements?
Nothing much. the recommended spec required is just that your PC has a USB 3.0 port; however it is backward compatible and can run on USB 2.0 post – (with slower speeds of course).
- If you don’t have one read my previous article on how to add a USB 3.0 port to your PC or laptop if they do not have one.
How rugged is it?
The cost seems a bit on the higher side but as is the case with many other things in the market, cheaper means some compromises like build quality or low grade components. While the best competitors can only muster up 250MB/s write speeds, the VisionTek USB Pocket SSD offers up to double that speed. I am guessing that very soon they will outclass others in the market.
With today’s high end tablets come with a maximum of 32GB or 64 GB of internal storage, the VisionTek USB Pocket SSD doubles up as as a high-speed and high-volume external storage option increasing your storage capabilities by up to nearly 4x more GB.
Some points to remember:
- The Pocket SSD comes with default NTFS formatting (with 512 byte block size) for the most efficient use of drive space. However some experts say that to obtain the highest speed efficiency from the drive, we must reformat the drive with 4K block size. Please do this before using the drive as other wise you will lose all existing data. On a side-note if you are using older OS (lesser than windows 7) then forget it.
- Performance is highly dependent on motherboard chipset spec/brand and drivers as well as the OS version used (either way the rule of thumb is that latest is best). Fastest speeds with be achieved with most latest motherboards.
- XHCI / UASP must be enabled and for this please consult your motherboard’s manual on settings to make sure they are fully enabled. Also XHCI should be ‘enabled’ instead of ‘Auto/Default’.
- Universal usage scenario: This device is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux systems with a USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 interface.
Side-note: If you are a Chess Enthusiast who is always am in search of latest devices and gadgets that helps with chess programs then you must seriously think of this SSD (if it is affordable). Due to its form-factor and blazing read/write speeds, I found this a good solution to house the Syzygy Chess Endgame Table-bases which are basically a set of databases that a chess program has to access while analyzing or playing whenever we reach an Endgame scenario in Chess.
And why is this device apt for that? Because the Chess Programs’ inbuilt engines need to access the data to help with near perfect analysis to guide their search algorithm, the traditional USB 3.0 speeds would make the programs to lag. Add the portability feature and that is where this device really fits the bill.
However this is not to say that it won’t help in your case. On the other hand this device will re-define your idea of speed if you have never used a SSD before.
Get the 120 GB variant here here – VisionTek 120GB USB 3.0 Pocket SSD Drive
Get the 240 GB variant here – VisionTek 240GB USB 3.0 Pocket SSD Drive
An youtube review that I found interesting:
Note: The links in this page are affiliate links.